At my house we aren’t exactly planners so gift buying doesn’t usually happen until the night before the celebration. The downfall to procrastinating is it doesn’t leave much time to think of and find a fabulous gift. I always have an ongoing list of favorite female must-haves and I think it’s best that I share them with you in case any of you are like me and need some last minute ideas of what to get for your moms. So in no particular order her are 10 suggestions:
1. Big Pony #2 perfume by Ralph Lauren. I honestly cannot rave enough about this brand new fragrance. I tried it on in the store and my sister who was with me at the time practically glued her nose to my neck that day. Not a wholesome visual but a testament to how insanely amazing it smells. If mom likes fruity, flowery sweet smells then this is the perfect perfume for her! You can find this fragrance at Ulta, Sephora or most major department stores at the fragrance counter.
2. Poppie Jones Bag: I picked up my first Poppie Jones bag from DSW as a splurge for myself and boy am I hooked. I picked out the Python Satchel below because I’m in love with the bright happy yellow trim. After several strangers stopped to compliment me on this bag (always a good thing) I went online to see what other fab designs Poppie Jones has to offer and I was not disappointed by the playful designs and bags I saw. I already have my eye on another Poppie bag and since I know the quality and functionality is top notch I just might get another one. I can promise mom won’t be disappointed with her own piece of Poppie. From what I have found you can only buy Poppie Jones bags at DSW stores or online.
3. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter: You don’t always have to spend big $$ to get an indulgent cosmetic. I am a sucker for packaging and these lip butter cases drew me in like a fish on a hook but fortunately for me the bait was worth the hook. I am an AZ girl with perpetually dry lips but have animosity towards regular lip gloss and tinted chapstick. I like lipstick, what can I say? Let me tell you, “butter” is the perfect description for this product because that’s exactly what it feels like on my lips. It’s soft, creamy, butter with just the right smooth consistency unlike most sticky, gooey, or tacky lip gloss/chapstick colors I’ve tried before. I love what this stuff does to my lips and the absolute bonus is all the fun colors you can buy. I haven’t disliked a single color I’ve purchased yet and for $5 to $6 a pop I don’t feel too bad owning lots of them to keep in my desk, purse, car and bathroom. The colors I have so far are creamsicle (fav!) cotton candy, tutti frutti, candy apple and lollipop. You can pick up some of these for mom just about anywhere including Target, Walmart, Walgreens and Ulta. You can even put them in her new Poppie Jones bag
4. Nothing Bundt Cake: IDK if there is one of these bakeries near you but there are all kinds of bakeries just about everywhere so get on yelp.com and find one with 4-5 stars near you and get mom some gourmet baked yum yums. I’ve had the red velvet cake, lemon cake, pumpkin cake, and chocolate cake from Nothing Bundt Cake and I pretty much think about eating it every night in bed while I am trying to fall asleep. Kind of masochistic behavior on my part considering it’s like 45 minutes away and I get to order from there like once a year but I hope you get what I am saying which is moms like the yum yums and if it’s not from a bakery then find some salted dark chocolate from Ghirardelli because it will change her life and you can find it at the grocery store or walgreens. I’m just saying, sugar is not a bad way to show someone you are sweet on them.
5. Paper Mate Ballpoint Pens: This may sound like a lame gift but once momma takes the pen for a test drive on some paper she will forever be in love with it’s smooth glide and effortless movement plus the cushy hand grip. I am telling you I hoard these pens like they are bricks of gold. I hate writing because I am a tech addict and feel out of place without a keyboard or a touch screen but these pens keep me connected to the long old ritual of penmanship. Note to reader: If you ONLY get mom a pack of these pens that could potentially be lame. They are bomb.com to be sure but not quite awesome enough to hold their own so don’t get her 4 pens and think she is gonna be happy with that and then blame whippy cake when she gets a little huffy or disappointed ok! Also note that you can find these pens again at walmart, target and walgreens… usually.
6. i-stuff: It’s not a secret I’m a mac user and die hard Apple fan. There isn’t enough server space in the world to contain all I have to say and love about Steve Jobs and Apple products and I don’t want to force my passion on anyone either so lets just agree that I’m a freak about it all and durn proud of it. If your mom has an iPhone or apple products get her a gift card to the apple store or find her some fun accessories. For me I prefer to pick out my own stuff so I’d suggest the gift card route because I don’t know your mom but you be the judge. Might I suggest this awesome case from switcheasy.com though. I own it and I love it and it’s been dropped an unacceptable amount of times and still holding strong which says a lot for a hard case (they usually crack or chip after one drop and then they are no good). A gift card might sound lame but if you think of all the awesome apps she could find in the App store or glamorous accessories she could coordinate with her style you can see why this would make mom happy.
7. Geluscious Moisterizing Bootie Socks: Again, being from AZ I have a thing for moisterizing products. These socks sound kind of weird (ok they are seriously weird) but oh MY stinking cool! The outside is just a plain soft terrycloth house bootie but the inside is coated with this the vitamin, oil and nutrient infused gel that feels cool and cushy on your feet and completely hydrates your feet. I’m not lying when I say they will transform your skin which I think is great but isn’t even why I love them. I simply cannot get enough of the cool squishy gelusciousness on my feet. I love them long time. This brand can be found at most high end spas but you can also find a generic version at your local drugstore and they work just as great for 1/4th of the price. Your mom might look at you funny when she opens them up but once she tries them on you will be a shoe-in for favorite child of the year.
8. H2o Sea Moss Replenishing Body wash and/or lotion: You have not had a real shower until you have showered with an H2o product. Let’s start with the strongest quality of this product which is hydration, hydration, HYDRATION! It’s intense and it’s awesome, that is all. Second of all the smell will send you to the beach in your head and I don’t mind my little mini daydream trips to the Bahamas in the mornings one bit. Finally, the body wash lathers like soap does in cartoons. When I was a kid I was always disappointed that I couldn’t get my soap to bubble up like I saw in the movies. Wish granted when I discovered this stuff. Maybe you don’t care about that sort of thing but when a drop of soap the size of a dime can create enough suds to cover a mini van it makes my life seem more fulfilling. I love this stuff peeps, it’s ridiculously moisturizing but doesn’t over do it and the scent will harness your zen or chi or whatever kind of peaceful harmony you are after every day. You can find these products at Ulta and possibly other places but I’m not for certain so just go to Ullta because it’s a safe bet.
9. Smash: K&Company came out with a new line of Smash Book products that are sold at Joann’s and Michael’s craft stores. The collection incorporates a series of awesome embellishments, inserts, add on’s and extras for journaling. I think journals are such a sentimental gift because journals themselves are time capsules of segments in our lives. I teeter totter when it comes to journaling with ups and downs in life. When I do journal I tend to cut and paste scraps of just about anything to put in along with each entry to illustrate the vibe or experience at the time. My journals are very fat, sporadic and especially messy but they absolutely reflect me and my life lessons learned. I’m an advocate of journaling and encourage everyone to keep some type of log or memoir to pass on to their posterity. Blah blah blah, the point is the Smash Book line is a fun way to journal and personalize it to fit your style and keep writing interesting and exciting. They even have journal prompts. I dig it big time.
10. Hulu Plus: My bestie introduced me to Hulu Plus and I think it is brilliant. You can watch just about anything on TV the next day after it airs with short 15-30 second commercial interruptions for less than $10 a month. I think treating mom to Hulu is the perfect way to say “Hey mom, you work your bum bum off and sacrifice all of your time for everyone else, I think you deserve some time to yourself to sit back and relax and indulge in your favorite show(s). If your mom is like me and doesn’t necessarily take the time to relax Hulu is also perfect to watch while doing work. Mom can fold laundry or do her thing on the sewing machine while Hulu plays on the computer or streams through her TV. I know I wouldn’t be able to work past 2 or 3am if I didn’t have New Girl playing on Hulu while I’m sewing or even editing things in photoshop. A subscription to Hulu Plus will be the gift that keeps on giving and best of all you can get it for mom sitting right there where you are. Score!
So those are my suggestions and hopefully they inspire you to do something grand for mom because you know she deserves it. I know these suggestions aren’t necessarily heartfelt or meaningful but I feel like the most meaning gifts and gestures need to come from your ideas because you know your mom personally and you have your own tender relationship. I hope you are able to spoil your moms and treat them well because if it wasn’t for mom, you wouldn’t be here!Back to Blog